Feng Shui is a Chinese philosophical system that looks at being one with your surroundings. It was developed in China and looks at balancing surrounding energies to benefit people inhabiting a particular space. Feng Shui encompasses the five elements of wood, water, fire, earth and metal.
According to the Feng Shui philosophy, energy (chi) lives in all things. Initially, this energy is pure when it first enters the earth. However, it quickly takes on different transformations when it manifests into the physical to create the five elements. This is why it is important to have a good balance of the elements – not too much and not too little in your interior design.
Wood represents creativity and growth. Its presence can help increase intuition and foster personal development. Wood is expressed in a rectangular shape according to Feng Shui.
Fire, which is considered the most powerful of the five elements, represents expansion and transformation. Fire is expressed in a triangular shape.
Earth represents stability, permanence, balance and an overall feeling of grounding. Its presence brings forth a feeling of peacefulness, calmness and stability. Earth is expressed in a square shape.
Metal stimulates mental strength and intellectual abilities. Metal is expressed in a round shape.
Water is related to the flow of energy in your life. It is meant for release and renewal. It triggers feelings of relaxation, clarity and inspiration. Water is expressed in wavy shapes.
In terms of interior design to create the perfect zen, Feng Shui is all about how you place your possessions or furniture to enhance or break your energy levels. Place them in the wrong position and you might invite bad energy into your home or office. Place them in the right position and you will invite plenty of good energy into your home or office, which results in a successful life. In order to have a better idea of how to place your furniture or positions, you need to know how the five elements interact with each other.
– Water is in the north direction. It is enhanced by metal, weakened by wood and destroyed by the earth. Water is represented by blue or black. Objects that can be used to represent water in a given space include fountains, aquariums, mirrors as well as wavy or asymmetrical shapes. Use water elements in terms of shapes and color to help nourish wood elements. In order to bring down the water energies, introduce bits of the earth element to help balance it out since earth destroys water.
– Wood is symbolized in the east and southeast direction. It is enhanced by water, destroyed by metal and weakened by fire. Wood is represented by green, brown and small amounts of purple. Objects used to mimic wood include trees, plants, or green objects.
– Metal is symbolized in the west and northwest direction. It is enhanced by earth, destroyed by fire and weakened by water. Metal is represented by white, silver, or gray. Fire elements can be introduced to bring down the presence of too many metal elements since fire destroys metal.
– Earth is symbolized in the center, northeast and southeast direction. It is enhanced by fire, destroyed by wood and weakened by metal. Earth is represented by brown, sierra, light yellow or beige. You should introduce bits of wood element to help curb the earth element.
– Fire is symbolized in the south direction. It is enhanced by wood, destroyed by water and weakened by earth. Fire is represented by red, orange, yellow, pink, and purple. Avoid placing too many objects from the water element near fire since water destroys fire.
Feng Shui can enhance conditions necessary for having a successful life. Psychologically, the Feng Shui concept when done right helps you feel lighter, self-satisfied, motivated and energetic. With a complete mind and body, you invite plenty of success in your life.
Feng Shui can bring about positive effects in your work relationships, your love life, and your family relationships. It can help with improving your financial state, your creativity and overall health.